Friday, June 19, 2009

Babe the sheep herding pig...

So I had a fantastic experience at the Women Owned Business convention last week in San Francisco. What an amazing conference! So well put together! I get an opportunity for one on one meetings with the supplier diversity managers at fortune 500 companies as well as these companies set up booths for a "job fair". Vendors go to the booths and speak further about each companies supplier diversity programs.

First, I have to brag about one company ~ The Coca Cola Company. NO ONE promotes supplier diversity like they do. They walk the talk and are FANTASTIC people. The influence other companies to embrace diversity without compromising quality! A++

However, for the first time at the conference, I had three people from three different companies actually laugh at me! I was a bit taken aback by this. Sure, it is funny that I actually get on roofs and work in construction. Yes, I have my purple bag that I use to carry my notes and camera onto roofs. Yes, I have boots made for women. I don't dip, smoke, or wear my pants in a fashion to reveal any exposed rear end parts. I have a degree from Carnegie Mellon and love my Rotary club. I show up 15 minutes early for appointments and appreciate our customers. Isn't that what customers want in spite of me being female?

Remember the movie Babe about the pig that wants to be a sheep herding champion? In the end, Babe wins the local herding trials...

No comments: