Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Pay your flippin' bill...

So, today is one of the days that I think construction is not so much fun.

Sometimes I have the duty to call upon clients for payment. I particularly hate this duty when I act as a subcontractor. Thankfully, it is VERY rare that I am a sub.

So my blood pressure is at a boil as I pull the file for a client that is 90 days late. This BP number climbs a little bit more when I review the fact that it is a PITHY amount that they owe and that the real client is a FORTUNE 500 company WITH PLENTY of cash. ***breathe*** So I compose yet another email of the facts and send it off to everyone and every one's mom. Sadly, the job isn't bonded so I can request bonding information.

I might as well have called up the pope and asked for a little pardon on my divorce. (oh yea, great stuff for another blog moment)

And in the middle of my fierce little fingers flying across the keyboard, said client calls in response to my "toned down from what I really think" email. I realize that taking that call is actually unwise as perhaps I might say something brilliant like "oh yea well you're a booger eater!!" (really washed out as in construction what I would truly say would look something more like this You *#&(@#&% fu*)$)$#) sh$#()&%)$ as()#&)&$@%) etc.. and thus where is the fun in typing all those characters instead of the real thing?)

Am I a chicken or have I actually achieved the rare ability to realize when you have to compose yourself?

I am leaning to chicken as I still want to call them a bunch of &#%@(#&@%(#%^)@#%^)...

1 comment:

perrykat said...

Not a chicken at all. It is always better to let the steam off before facing the target. Then you'll be calm, cool, and collected and you can tell them something like you told the crazy teenage driver: I may be a b(*&^, but you are dangerous!

I so hope I can say that to someone in my lifetime.